Mud Painting: Its 'Process' Art


Mud stations provide much more than just pretend cooking and mud pies.
Have you ever tried Mud painting?
It is pretty effective and I am sure you know that Mud painting isn't done for a beautiful product you can put on the fridge.
It is process Art: which means it is all about the exploration, learning and experimenting that the child experiences during the process of creating the art.


Here Dimples had lots of fun Stamping, Splatting and Stomping things in the mud.
He explored the different patterns made from the different shaped utensils and what happened when he used them differently; tilting them, rolling them, splatting them, stamping them, sliding them around to get different effects on the white paper.


The whisk and the masher were the favourites as they had the most effective print.
I had some plastic animals near by that he wasn't too interested in. He used a pig and a dinosaur to do foot prints. He made them stomp around for a while and rolled the pig in the mud but went straight back to the utensils.


Remember, Its the PROCESS that matters: Children's Process Art fosters sensory perception, it provides the opportunity to represent and symbolises real life experiences or just be freely imaginative, it offers children a chance to explore, experiment, learn by cause and effect, create and build, but most importantly it gives them the freedom to be an individual.
Creating an Art piece, in their eyes is a way for them to express themselves in the way they wish without having to conform. The process is fun and may be many different things to them. This freedom is what makes it special. So when it comes to children, forget about the beauty of their art and focus on what is being experienced.

What better way to explore the process and freedom of Art than with some Mud painting?

Happy Adventures :)

11 comments:

  1. Mum, mud, glorious mud! We like to get muddy too. Whenever we see a muddy puddle, JJ asks if she can go in, and I try my best to say yes. I reckon I manage a yes about 90% of the time. (The other 10%, well, there are times when clean is important too)...

    I hadn't thought about mud painting though. Adding it to my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son painted our garage with mud! http://neverlandarling.blogspot.com/2012/04/365-days-outdoors-mud-slinging.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little one just won't get her hands dirty very easily. Perhaps this activity will entice her to get grubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so fun! I'm always a fan of process-based "art" activities for the little ones. We have a ton of snow where we live but I'm pinning this to my Spring board to do when all that snow melts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this done with mud before and I love it. What contrast of the mud on the white paper is fantastic. I love mud. Off to pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love painting with utensils but never thought of using with mud...fantastic!!!pinning now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea!!!! Anyone can do this really because most people would have what they need already at home. Love it and remembering to do this one when my little baby gets older. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, this is brilliant! We haven't painted in mud, but I know my kids would have an absolute ball! Pinning now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks a lot of fun. I'm now looking forward to our snow melting to give this a try as we will have a LOT of mud.

    Thank you for linking up to Tuesday Tots and to let you know that I'm featuring this over on Rainy Day Mum this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya again! Just letting you know i am also featuring this activity on my Kid's Co-Op post this week x

    ReplyDelete
  11. In addition to Monday Kid Corner, this week's theme is MUD. Brush off those archives and link them up at thejennyevolution.com. See you there! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...